Grafting Post Operative Instructions
- Tenderness is normal. To reduce tenderness and promote healing, for the first 2 days, every two to three hours, rinse with warm salt water: ½ teaspoon salt in an 8 ounce glass of water.
- No brushing or flossing the treated area for one week. However, brush the other areas well and gently clean the surgical packing with some gauze and gentle finger pressure. Please be careful brushing and use a toothbrush with soft bristles.
- Tylenol or Ibuprofen may be used as recommended for discomfort.
- Highly nutritious foods and lots of fluid are necessary for the healing process. Only liquids and smoothly blende fluids for the first 24 hours. Only very soft foods for a full week.
- Tooth sensitivity is normal and temporary. You may use a desensitizing toothpaste such as Sensodyne to help.
- Gently massage the areas treated with your washed fingers. This will increase circulation and promote healing.
- If present, remove the upper plastic healing splint beginning 24 hours after the procedure to clean it and under it, then replace. Repeat several times daily.
Lastly, please contact our office should you experience prolonged bleeding or any other problems during the healing process.
These suggestions will help you receive the greatest benefit from today’s treatment.